A nerd before the birth of TOS Red Shirts, I share my thoughts on genre media be it books, movies, TV shows, etc

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Red Planet Blues / Green Planet Glory

On Tuesday, April 3rd I went to Audrey's Book Store in downtown Edmonton to see SF Writer - Robert J. Sawyer do a reading from his new book - Red Planet Blues - a mystery noir set on Mars.  I haven't been able to attend on of Rob's readings since we moved out west so it was a real treat to see and hear him again.

We chatted for a few moments - he actually remembered who I was! - and compared notes as to what we had been up to lately.  His reading was excellent.  Quite funny in fact.  Rob joked around that he had learned that the best way to entice readers was to make sure his reading selection included nudity and action.  I thought he was just kibitzing with the audience but Rob was telling the truth. His reading contained both and a lot of humor too.

There was a question period afterwards which was interesting. His nex project is based on, 'The Psychomatic Zombie.'  Sounds like Rob is trying to tap into the serial killer/zombie craze.  Fascinating stuff.

I have his latest book on my To Be Read pile.

RJS entertains with his reading.

~~~
So we went west for Easter Weekend and stayed at an inn in Lake Louise.  The trip was gorgeous and the roads were practically deserted.  The first shot below is typical of the both scenery and traffic.




If you scroll back to my previous post you can see what Lake Louise looks like in the summer.  This is what it looks like in the winter.  Truly gorgeous.

We ate very well - too well for me, I felt like the 10 pounds I have lost since the start of the year all came back that weekend.

A splendid time was had by all and we plan to visit Jasper in the summer.

~~~

Off to my first writer's group meeting with the Edmonton Writing Group tonight.  They meet twice a month and do group reviews of each other's writing.  Looking forward to hanging out with some other writers and sharing thoughts and feedback.


No comments: